Agents of Flourishing
God calls Christians to participate in his redemptive mission in every sphere of life. Every corner, every square inch of society can flourish as God intends, and Christians of any vocation can become agents of that flourishing.
Amy Sherman offers a multifaceted, biblically grounded framework for enacting God's call to seek the shalom of our communities in six arenas of civilizational life (The Good, The True, The Beautiful, The Just, The Prosperous, and The Sustainable). Because we believe in what is good and true, we strengthen social ethics and contribute to human knowledge and learning. Because we value beauty, we invest in creative arts. Because we are committed to a just society, we work toward restorative justice and a well-ordered civic life. And our desire to see society prosper sustainably means that our business practices seek the economic good of the community while protecting the physical health of our environment.
This comprehensive volume showcases historical and contemporary models of faithful and transformational cultural engagement, with case studies of all kinds of churches advancing human flourishing. It provides a roadmap for leaders wanting to participate in Christ's mission of holistic renewal. Discover how being God's agents of flourishing can change our communities for the better and offer a winsome witness to a watching world.
1. All About Flourishing
2. The Good: Flourishing in the Realm of Social Mores and Ethics
3. A Strategy for Cultivating the Good: Strengthen Marriage
4. The True: Flourishing in the Realm of Human Knowledge and Learning
5. A Strategy for Cultivating the True: Partner in Public Education
6. The Beautiful: Flourishing in the Realm of Creativity, Aesthetics, and Design
7. A Strategy for Cultivating the Beautiful: Invest in the Arts
8. The Just and Well-Ordered: Flourishing in the Realm of Political and Civic Life
9. A Strategy for Cultivating the Just: Advance Restorative Justice
10. A Strategy for Cultivating the Just: Be a Reconciling Community
11. The Prosperous: Flourishing in the Realm of Economic Life
12. A Strategy for Cultivating the Prosperous: Redeem Business for Community Good
13. A Strategy for Cultivating the Prosperous: Deploy Assets to Build Assets
14. The Sustainable: Flourishing in the Realm of Natural and Physical Health
15. A Strategy for Cultivating the Sustainable: Combat Environmental Health Hazards
16. A Strategy for Cultivating the Sustainable: Address Food Deserts
17. Next Steps: A Road Map for the Work of Flourishing Your Community