Christians usually focus on what Jesus has done (his life, death and resurrection) and what he will do (his second coming and eternal reign). While there has been something of a revival of interest in his ascension, studies of Jesus in his exalted state are relatively rare. However, the Christ that Christians trust in, relate to and love is not only the one who lived, died, rose and will come again: he is also currently seated at God's right hand. Christian faith as well as theological reflection must take into consideration this significant aspect of Christ's person and work.
In this New Studies in Biblical Theology volume, Peter Orr attends to this somewhat neglected topic in biblical theology. He explores the New Testament witness to Jesus as he is now, the exalted Christ, through the lenses of his identity, his location and his activity.
Addressing key issues in biblical theology, the works comprising New Studies in Biblical Theology are creative attempts to help Christians better understand their Bibles. The NSBT series is edited by D. A. Carson, aiming to simultaneously instruct and to edify, to interact with current scholarship and to point the way ahead.
"Instead of. . . . using the synthetic and analytic categories of systematic theology, Dr. Orr largely confines himself to the categories deployed by the biblical writers themselves. Written with verve and clarity, this book promises not only to bring sharper thinking to a rather confused domain of Christology, but also to invite us to deeper adoration as we contemplate overlooked characteristics of our triune God."
2. The Identity of the Exalted Christ: the Exalted Christ and the Earthly Jesus
3. The Identity of the Exalted Christ: the Exalted Christ and the Spirit
4. The Identity of the Exalted Christ: the Exalted Christ and the Church
5. The Location of Christ: Ascension, Exaltation, and Absence
6. The Body of the Exalted Christ
7. The Location of Christ: Paul and the Bodily Absence of Christ
8. The Location of Christ: the Epiphanic Presence of Christ
9. The Activity of the Exalted Christ on Earth
10. The Activity of the Exalted Christ in Heaven
11. Concluding Reflections
Index of Authors
Index of Scripture References