Written by scholars with extensive experience teaching in colleges and universities, the Exploring the Bible series has for decades equipped students to study Scripture for themselves.Exploring the New Testament, Volume One provides an accessible introduction to the Gospels and Acts. It's filled with classroom-friendly features such as discussion questions, charts, theological summary sidebars, essay questions, and further reading lists. This volume introduces students to
Now in its third edition, this popular textbook has been updated and revised to take account of the latest advances in scholarly findings and research methods, including new sections on
Especially suited as a textbook for courses on Jesus, the Gospels, or Acts, this book is a valuable guide for anyone seeking a solid foundation for studying the New Testament.
List of Illustrations
How to Use This Book
A. Setting the Scene
1. The Historical Context of Jesus and the New Testament
2. Judaism in First-Century Palestine
B. Approaching the Gospels
3. What Are the Gospels?
4. Where Did the Gospels Come From?
5. Understanding the Gospels Today
C. Understanding Jesus
6. The Quest for the Historical Jesus
7. The Life of Jesus in the Light of History
8. The Teaching and Aims of Jesus
D. Getting into the Four Gospels
E. The Acts of the Apostles