Theologian and veteran missionary Bernard Adeney addresses in-depth what may be the stickiest crosscultural communication problem of our day: differing approaches to morality.
In this comprehensive treatment, he considers ethics across cultures, addresses the ethical import of other religions and gender relations, explores how the Bible and culture interact to produce ethical stances, and includes particular case studies. Strange Virtues will benefit not only missionaries, ethicists and students, but all Christians who want to better understand their neighbors here at home.
1. Introduction to Crosscultural Ethics
2. Practicing Theology in Crosscultural Experience
3. Knowledge, Friendship and Wisdom
4. The Bible and Culture in Ethics
5. Cultural Value Orientations in Contrast
6. Strange Communications
7. Ethical Theory and Bribery
8. The Ethical Challenge of Other Religions
9. Women and Men as Strangers: Gender Conflict Across Cultures
10. The Unity of Personal and Social Ethics
Appendix: Maps or Models of Cultural Value Differences