The Message of Judges
The book of Judges contains some of the most famous of the Bible's stories, as well as some of the least known. They show us the deepest sins of humanity but reveal them in the light of God's abundant grace. Behind human leaders such as Deborah, Jephthah, and Samson stands the principal actor in this drama: God as Judge, discerning and deciding.
Michael Wilcock astutely explores the message of Judges to show that God never abandons his people—then or now. In this Bible Speaks Today commentary, Wilcock illuminates the meaning that Judges still holds for us today as a story of God's grace. The Judge of all ensures that his people will never manage to destroy themselves, even though it may look as if they are on course for disaster.
Part of the loved and trusted Bible Speaks Today series, The Message of Judges offers an insightful, readable exposition of the biblical text and thought-provoking discussion of how it relates to contemporary life. Used by Bible students and teachers around the world, The Bible Speaks Today commentaries are ideal for anyone studying or preaching Scripture and those who want to delve deeper into the text.
This beautifully redesigned edition has also been sensitively updated to include modern references and use the NRSV Bible text.
1. The Lord, the Judge (1:1–3:6)
2. Ehud: the rule of the left hand (3:7-31)
3. Deborah and Barak: the ‘us-and-them’ distinction (4:1–5:31)
4. Gideon: overwhelming odds (6:1–8:35)
5. Abimelech: something completely different (9:1–10:5)
6. Jephthah: a man of his word (10:6–12:15)
7. Samson: set apart for God (13:1–16:31)
8. The top and bottom of it (17:1–21:25)